40 foot Dragon...

adrondube

40 foot Dragon...

Post by adrondube » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:59 pm

Although technically it wouldn't be a Dragon, does anyone know if a larger Dragon other than Anker's 35+ footer has ever been built? It seems like an interesting project as the beam would be approximately 8.63 feet versus 6.4 feet. Could you built a larger version based on the same wooden techniques used in the original? Just curious. To me, the Dragon has the best lines out there. I wonder if the Dragon community would like to see something like that, or would they frown upon it. Below is a link of a size comparison.

http://www.ruralgreen.org/40%20foot%20d ... arison.jpg

Best Regards,
-Adron

trw999

Post by trw999 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:36 am

Adron

Interesting question!

Given that most of us are attracted into the class because of the stunning looks of our yachts, a larger version might be right for some, especially when one considers the number of large day boats currently coming onto the market from designers around the world.

Me - I'm very happy with mine and anyway, I could'nt tow anything larger on the regatta circuit!

T

adrondube

Post by adrondube » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:06 am

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'd have to trailer it as well, so I'm big time crunching the numbers to see if it's possible. I live in Georgia, but would also be traveling in and through Florida. From what I've learned, the maximum trailerable width in both states is 8 1/2 feet. The width I've come up with for a larger 39.37 foot version would leave the beam at 8.63 feet, right at and just slightly past the limit. A 30% longer Dragon than the standard 29.2 feet would leave the beam at 8.32 feet, which is a little better. 20% larger would leave the beam at 7.68 feet, but the length would be cut down to 35.04 feet, which is approximate to Anker's larger Dragon length. The Dragon has beautiful lines, the best in my opinion for a sloop, but it is very slender. The added deck space, cockpit/cabin height, and bigger feel would be nice. Other considerations I'd have to think about are maximum trailer height, trailer length, and of course the towing weight. I've got an 05 Expedition, so I'm hoping towing would be okay. I wonder on a larger version of the Dragon if you'd be able to stand tall and miss the boom when you jibe? Anyway, I'll post photos once I start construction. Please post any input or advise you may have. Thanks-

-Adron
trw999 wrote:Adron

Interesting question!

Given that most of us are attracted into the class because of the stunning looks of our yachts, a larger version might be right for some, especially when one considers the number of large day boats currently coming onto the market from designers around the world.

Me - I'm very happy with mine and anyway, I could'nt tow anything larger on the regatta circuit!

T

ROBERT ALPE

When is a Dragon not a Dragon?

Post by ROBERT ALPE » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:29 am

You are correct of course, the Dragon has the most elegant lines of any sloop ever designed, But more than that, she sails as elegantly as she looks. To simply scale up the Dragon by 30% may indeed be possible, and it may well retain its elegance as well, but would it sail with the same elegance? Don't know the answer, but do know it is no longer a Dragon as we know it!

Further, I suspect that trailing such a beast would increase the current trailering issues by more than 30%. Don't know if I want to go there as my backing skills with my current rig are at best, terrible !!!!

Cheers

Robert Alpe

trw999

Post by trw999 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:24 am

I have just returned from Cowes Week, where I came across the 8 metre Athena, a very grown up Dragon. Here is a link to a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10919588@N ... 202207037/

Ancient Geek

Re: 40 foot Dragon...

Post by Ancient Geek » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:29 pm

One of the Uffa Fox shows plans of a stror (Big.) Dragon at least one was built and made its wau to Bombay where I saw it about 15 years ago, in surprising good condition for Indian boats!