Class development in North America.

Class Development

Should we have on single class association for North America?

CIDA/AIDA?
67%
NAIDA?
33%

Total votes: 3

Mickey Lake

Class development in North America.

Post by Mickey Lake » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:58 pm

I have a question that I would like to ask of both the IDA and of the general membership of both the CIDA and the AIDA.

To the members of the Dragon class in North America: I would like to know if it would be preferable to merge into one single entity known as the North American International Dragon Association? Is the nationalistic identity of our fleet as it stands now important to people, or would it be possible to change and make it more easy for people all over North America to identify with what we are trying to do in bringing back the class here?

To the class: is this even allowable? I know that there are some ISAF classes who do this now in North America (the Fireball class, for one). Is there some rule that says that we must have separate class associations for every country?

In my informal mailings that I send out I continually ask for input. Since not everyone who sails Dragons in North America is on my mailing list I would appreciate it if they could get in touch with me so that we can discuss this and other issues. The feedback that I get is that one single entity is preferable and I agree. Traditions are important and must be honored, but I am more interested in a future than I am the past right now, and my desire is to make every single person who wants to sail Dragons, who even thinks about a Dragon, feel a part of who and what we are.

Other issues that are important: anyone who knows of a boat for sale or of a boat that has a new owner please let me know. Anyone who needs a supplier for equipment or gear please let me know. Anyone who has any idea of how to promote or further this cause please let me know. Anyone who has an idea of which direction they think that this fleet should go, please speak up and share your ideas. Most of all, anyone who knows of a person who has shown any interest, please let me know so that we can get them involved.

I have proposed a brain storming session in Cleveland at the US Nationals in June to discuss these things and to share ideas with one another. I am planning on making it to Seattle in July and will try and sound out the folks out there. Someone asked me the other day why this was so important to me. I am not sure how to answer that. The beauty of the design is one factor. They are achingly beautiful, to my eye. The class here needs the help and I don't mind helping. That's another factor. The bottom line is that I am a sailor, and these are the loveliest of boats, with a history and tradition that can be cherished, yet a present and future that will probably only get better. Except for us in North America. I really want us to be a part of it and there is a danger that it will pass us by if we stand by and do nothing.

Sorry if this sounds like a speech. It's not meant as a speech. It's meant to be a request to all of us here in North America. Talk your friends into coming out this summer. Talk some new friends into doing some crewing. Be thinking about where you want this class to go and what your part in that should be. I am always around to help. Just let me know what I can do.

Mickey Lake USA149
Last edited by Mickey Lake on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

ROBERT ALPE

Post by ROBERT ALPE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:22 pm

While there is very good argument to be made to have one North American Dragon Association, your members should understand that as the class grows [it surely will], the number of entries possible to Dragon Worlds is linked to the number of registered Dragons by a country/National Association per the following:

... taken verbatim from World Championship Rules - Entries criteria

"The maximum number of entries (per country) that can be put forward by
their National Association are as follows:

Registered Dragons.......................Permitted
Per Country..................................Entries
1-10............................................6
11-20..........................................7
21-35..........................................8
36-50..........................................9
51-85..........................................10
86-125 .......................................11
126-175.......................................12
176-250.......................................13
251-325.......................................14
326-400.......................................15
Over 400......................................17"

This would suggest the IDA could interpret the rule 2 ways for an NAIDA, either the per country count for a minimum entry total of 6 per country [if Mexico, Canada and USA comprise the NAIDA, this is 18 entries minimum] or the national association [in this case the collective is one association] for a minimum entry total of 6 only.

While is is some years off before a North American fleet is large enough to forge a formal challenge to a Dragon Worlds, may I suggest each existing national association in North America write to the IDA and obtain a ruling on this issue prior to any formal move to a collective.

Robert Alpe

Mickey Lake

I appreciate the clarification, Robert.

Post by Mickey Lake » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:43 pm

I hope that you (and everyone else) can see that my intention is to make everyone feel included in the rebuilding of this class in North America, and of course anything that I say is unofficial and is only for informational purposes.

Mickey Lake USA149
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

ROBERT ALPE

Fully understood!

Post by ROBERT ALPE » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Hello Mickey,

Your motive of inclusivity is well understood by me and others, and is fully respected also. Your objective of class rebuliding is to be supported and applauded. If the concept of a combined association for the Americas is positively considered by a majority of North American Dragon boat owners, I would anticipate the IDA executive supporting the initiative also. My concern was to suggest you seek clarification of the IDA event quota situation as it would be a shame to build up a healthy class in North America only to find entry limitations over a technical issue. :P

Robert Alpe

ROBERT ALPE

A precedent may already exist!

Post by ROBERT ALPE » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:07 am

I have learned that the Irish fleet pays the British Dragon Association a sub to be affiliated and their boats etc. are listed in the White Book as Irish. This would suggest a precedent exists for the registered boats/fleet of any NAIDA should be entered into IDA Regatta events under the quota of the country, rather than the Association. :D

Robert Alpe