question about Spin. pole

Kraftwerk

question about Spin. pole

Post by Kraftwerk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:02 am

The spin. pole has the metal clasp at one end and a dome shaped white nylon cap at the other with two holes in the end. How does this attach? what is missing? Boat is a (new to me) 1978 BB with perhaps a newer mast an older pole.
Could it be that the mast and pole are from two different manufacturers and not easily compatible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This Dragon is the only one around so there is no one else to ask.
Thank you.

trw999

Re: question about Spin. pole

Post by trw999 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:45 am

It sounds as if you have an older type spi pole.

There are two modern systems. Either a sliding car with a large ring on the front of the mast to which the pole attaches with a snap closure. At the other end of the pole there is another snap closure, which attaches to the spi sheet. This system is known as the deck mounted pole. Or the pole is boom mounted and detached from the mast and sheet when not in use. Two fixed rings at different heights are fitted to the front of the mast for the pole to be attached to when needed.

Have a look at this link to see the pole and snap closures: http://www.petticrows.co.uk/catalog/ind ... 20a&page=2

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:39 am

Thanks for the link. The mast was replaced at some point so this spinnaker pole must be the original.
I will ask Petticrows to send me an image of the OTHER end of the pole to see if I can make this thing work,
Or do both ends have the exact same snap closure? Maybe I can just buy a snap closure from Petticrows and mount it where this old nylon/plastic knob is now.

We really want to fly our SPINNAKER !

Thanks
Jt

trw999

Post by trw999 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 am

Kraftwerk wrote:Or do both ends have the exact same snap closure?
They do indeed