Questions about the validity of our one design principle

Heike Blok

Questions about the validity of our one design principle

Post by Heike Blok » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:41 am

I have some questions:

01) Is the Dragon class a genuine one design class?

02) Does the class use it's set of measurement rules in checks so as to ascertrain reasonable conformity, especially in hull schape, including "grandfathered" but drastically restored boats?

03) Do the class rules offer criteria according to which boats must be re-measured, for instance after serious damage, causing overall restauration?

04) Is the rule (habit?): "Once a Dragon, always a Dragon" a good rule?

05) Can Frank Berg, the excellent and able Danish helmsman be congratulated with winning the 2006 Open Danish Dragon Championship?

If we can say yes to each and all of these questions, the class is a true one design class and insasmuch as we want to adhere to our one design status we can then truly say, as on our web site: THE PROBLEM WITH ONE DESIGN SAILING IS THAT USUALLY THE BEST SAILER WINS.

doomernik

Post by doomernik » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:50 am

Good question Heike!
Old rebuilt boats can be wolfs in sheeps cloths!
I would suggest to demand complete remeasurement according to the latest classrules including all templates, swingtesting and weighing of old boats after major reconstruction especially when the deck has been replaced.

Joop Doomernik

Mickey Lake

These are good questions.

Post by Mickey Lake » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 pm

Of course the standard line is that no class that doesn't come out of the same mold is a one-design class, but ours is an old class and we must use the approved tolereances as our rule.

I have no problem with re-measuring and such, but we must remember that many people work on their Dragons themselves in their back yards or garages to bring them back to racing condition. I am convinced that we must do everything within our power as a class to not add large sums to the cost of restoring older boats. In North America, where every single hull is important to the health of the class, we need to work with these owners, not throw obstacles in their way.

The measurement forms and the table of offsets are available from IDA. I have been suggesting to everyone in North America who is restoring a wooden Dragon (and there are quite a few) to use those as guidleines. We are working on getting a measurer ceritified. We will do whatever we can to help these people get their boats out racing again. I would just like for the class to consider these types of owners before passing any sweeping legislation that affects their getting their boats on the water.

Oh yeah, congratulations Frank. Well done.

Respectfully,

Mickey Lake USA149
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

Lars Hendriksen

One Design Dragons

Post by Lars Hendriksen » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:57 pm

Hello Heike

I think it is important to give some feedback to your questions in order to avoid misunderstandings.

Your input on the forum could led some Dragon sailors to belive that Frank Berg won the Danish Nationals because he was sailing a 1960 Petersen & Thuesen.

Frank Berg has won the Danish Nationals at least 5 or 6 times before in GRP Dragons, on top of that he has won the Regattes Royales twice and came second at the Europeans this year.

I think it is a little unfair and impropriate even to suggest that his victory at the Danish Nationals was won due to his beautiful Petersen & Thuesen.

His P&T has never been rebuilt, the boat is original. The deck, cabintop and deadwood are all original. Only two bulkheads have been added in order to make it as “unsinkableâ€

Frank Berg

Old wooden boat

Post by Frank Berg » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:39 pm

As a part in this matter where Heike Bloks mentions my boat - I can help him with his problem....the boat will go to Cannes to Regates Royale where it can be inspected by approved measures from the Dragon Class….. I might even sell the boat if somebody should be interested – then they can find out by themselves if the boat is fast or not!

Everybody is welcome to come and have a look on my old beautiful wooden boat (or my beautiful young wife) in Cannes……. :lol:

See you all soon....

Frank Berg
DEN 66 “Get-A-Wayâ€

ROBERT ALPE

Old boats and Young wives

Post by ROBERT ALPE » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:43 am

It is customary and proper to have a Dragon remeasured after a MAJOR rebuild [like replacing a wooden deck for example.] It is also advisable to do this, because if a Dragon were protested at a major regatta and found not to measure, the expense and embarrassment of the situation would surely be intollerable for all involved.

But there is no rule [to my knowledge] that states it is a REQUIREMENT to be remeasured. So essentially, once a Dragon, always a Dragon is correct.

Fortunately, it is not so with young wives! :D

And it is important to recognise the talents and successes of Frank Berg in racing a Dragon. Frank has demonstrated these skills in non P&T Dragons, and will again I am sure!

Robert Alpe

Heike Blok

Post by Heike Blok » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:02 am

How encouraging to find at least one matter- of- fact-reaction to my Questions! Obviously Robert Alpe got me right and is even more adamant than I! He writes: “It is customary to have a Dragon re-measured after a major rebuildâ€