Anker/Dragon pics wanted

Clive P

Anker/Dragon pics wanted

Post by Clive P » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:11 pm

Does anybody have pictures of the Anker 22 designed for the Hong Kong Yacht Club, predating the Dragon?
Also would like to see pictures of the Big Dragons of 1940. I believe they were Anker's last design.
Finally any Pictures of the Dragon that was gaff rigged' "just for fun" a few years ago .

This message is also posted on Wooden Boat Rorum. Clive P.

There are no stupid questions!

Clive P

Re: Anker/Dragon pics wanted

Post by Clive P » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:12 am

Received this morning

The matter of the A class, indeed designed by Johan Anker in 1924 – though whether entirely for the RHKYC is, I think, a matter for legitimate doubt – is covered in Gillian Chambers Eastern Waters, Eastern Winds (HK: Royal HK Yacht Club, 1993) on pp.51, with images on pp.55 and 69, and especially one of several of the class being built (showing well their underwater body) on p.64. By 1933 there were 11 A class, with a further two, one in Qingdao and another in Borneo. The yachts were built by the Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock Co at their Hunghom yard. The docks were severely bombed in WW2 and I rather doubt that anything survived, though an enquiry to the successor company, the Hong Kong United Dockyards, might find something.

One sank off the Ninepins (in the eastern approaches) in a severe squall in August 1935, though I doubt much survives to be investigated!

From the look of the boat the difficulty is pinning down the precise ‘rule’ the 20 sq.m. refers to. It cannot be the International Metre Rule of 1908 (the one that gave us the 6m, and 12m yachts) because under that rule a 20 sq.m. yacht would have been huge. My suspicion is that this might be the Square Metre, Norwegian or Skerry Cruiser Rule (still operative (see http://www.sskf.se/regeln/SK_RULE_EN_2005_1.pdf - which would at least give you a basic shape and some formulae with which to reverse engineer a hypothetical hull).

It is faintly possible that the Royal HK Yacht Club may have some plans in their archives, though again the ravages of WW2 – from which no A class survived – make this unlikely. I note, however, that from the club’s perspective (Eastern waters, Eastern winds, p.79), post-war no distinction was made between the pre-war A Class and the Dragon, one being taken to be not so much a development as a re-branding of the other.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but I hope we have at least shown that the class was real did exist and was probably pretty much a pre-Dragon dragon. One simple test of this would be to run the dimensions of the Dragon through the Square Metre Rule above and see if the result is at or very close to 20 qq.m. If it is, then I think you could conclude, especially given the pictures cited, that one was a slightly developed clone of the other.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Davies

Dr. Stephen Davies

Museum Director,

Hong Kong Maritime Museum,

g/f Murray House,

Stanley Plaza,

Stanley,

Hong Kong

tel: +852 2813 2616 (direct), +852 2813 2322 (general office)

fax: +852 2813 0067, +852 2813 8033

http://www.hkmaritimemuseum.org