RFI about K355 built in 1960 by MugelSpree (?)

Rene Brozius

RFI about K355 built in 1960 by MugelSpree (?)

Post by Rene Brozius » Wed May 21, 2008 4:41 pm

LS

I own a wooden Dragon built in 1960 by Mugelspree (not sure this was a boat builder,
more likely a geographical indication: the town Mugel on the river Spree (Ger)).

Her registration number used to be K 355,
nowadays she's sailing (still succesfully) under registrationnr NED 326.

Rumour is she was build as a training boat for the German Olympic team, but have found any confirmation yet.
Tried the German Dragon Ass., but found nothing. The German Register contains one similar boat (Relax),
but the owner wants to stay anonymous. Not much help there ....

Does anyone know about her history? Builder, Previous owners, track records, photo's ??

Thanks in advance,

Rene Brozius

http://homepage.mac.com/renebrozius/PhotoAlbum4.html

Patrickgifford

Re: RFI about K355 built in 1960 by MugelSpree (?)

Post by Patrickgifford » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 am

K355 was built by what has always been listed as Muggelspree. Like you I have always suspected that this was a builder at Muggel on the Spree but only an East German with a long memory can answer that.
She was built for Cyril Stollery who kept her at Waldringfield in Suffolk and I remember racing against her in Aldeburgh. He had been a leading light in British dinghy sailing either side of the war.
I don't know exactly when he sold her but by 1968 there is no trace of her in the British Dragon Association list.
A sister ship, I believe, won sailed successfully by Borowski on th international circuit.

Patrickgifford

Re: RFI about K355 built in 1960 by MugelSpree (?)

Post by Patrickgifford » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:28 am

I should have mentioned that she is listed as built in 1961 and was new in Stollery's hands. Her original name was Wizard.