Polish Dragon in Canada

John

Polish Dragon in Canada

Post by John » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:59 pm

I have recently acquired a 1961 mahogany on oak Polish built dragon. Found in an old barn, and has not been in the water for about 10-15 years. Minor repairs done over one month (small section of deck replaced, painted and new varnish) and launched July 4 2008. I am still trying to find the history of this boat and it's number. (No production number on keel or area near mast or at rudder post). I have filled it with water to allow the wood to swell
Questions....
1) Running back stays seem to attach to u loops just aft of the old jib winches. Is this normal.
2) No boom vang. Were these not used in the 1960's
3) Spruce mast can be bent in many different ways, very flexible, is this ok?
4) Any one have sails for sale. I need a good jib and a genoa.

Thanks
John Beal
Last edited by John on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trw999

Re: Polish Dragon in Canada

Post by trw999 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 am

John

Well done, she looks great and in amazingly fine condition.

If you have not already done so, I suggest you make contact with Mickey Lake of the American International Dragon Association (http://www.usdragons.org/AIDA/Home.html); his e-mail is BLake84530@aol.com

Also, you could contact Patrick Gifford, the International Dragon Association Classic Boat Co-Ordinator at Patrick@Gifford97.fsnet.co.uk

As a real long shot on your boat's origins try these guys http://www.baltliner.ee/dragon/DRAGON%2 ... llinn.html. Although they are in Estonia they may be able to point you in the right direction.

In answer to your questions and as best I can!

1) Running back stays seem to attach to u loops just aft of the old jib winches. Is this normal. Not now, the runners are lead aft alongside the backstay and through-deck turning blocks to a course and fine purchase system under the side decks. However, I have sailed on a classic Dragon where the runners were simply attached to a length of wire secured to the side decks and slid backwards on the windward side, forwards on the leeward side, which sounds reasonably similar in principle to your set up

2) No boom vang. Were these not used in the 1960's I suspect yours is missing. They were used in the 40s and 50s. A good book that might be helpful to you is The Royal Dragon by RL Hewitt. I got my copy on Amazon

3) Spruce mast can be bent in many different ways, very flexible, is this ok? I believe that some of the wooden Dragon masts could be quite whippy. The critical points will be ensuring the shroud plates are in the correct position and being careful about the conditions you sail in. Should you decide to race her, you would be better off with an aluminium mast, but you would have to look at your entire set up too

4) Any one have sails for sale. I need a good jib and a genoa. Ask Mickey Lake. We sent over some 40 odd secondhand sails to him earlier this year.

T

Mickey Lake

Post by Mickey Lake » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:18 am

John, wonderful to see your boat and to meet you. So, you are on the river there in New Brunswick? Odd place to find such a boat, but she looks beautiful and hopefully you will make each other happy. When I get home tomorrow I will get Paul Taylor's e-mail address for you. Paul is the Canadian national secretary and he's out in Vancouver. I am sure that he will be interested and most happy to hear from you.

As far as your questions about the boat goes, Tim did a great job of answering your questions. Last year I sailed on a boat with a wooden spar that didn't use running backs! He just had the permanant (mast head) stay rigged and didn't worry with the runners. Worried the heck out of me but nothing bad happened, just couldn't do much with the luff of the genoa while sailing. This past weekend I was looking at USA2 up in Connecticut and she has track slides like we used to have in the Star class. I guess that you could just use whatever idea you think best. Wouldn't be hard to rig, regardless. I believe that my runners exit the deck about two feet from the stern and probably six to eight inches off of the shear plank, but I am not certain at the moment. I could measure it for you. It's basically just a 4:1 block and tackle led through the deck and back up to the cockpit so that we can adjust it while sailing.

As far as the vang goes, that's easy enough to rig, as well. Mine's pretty much the standard rig you will find on a J/24 or any similiar boat. The newer rigs are much more elaborate, but mine seems to work.

As far as sails go, I will put you in touch with Paul Rieman in Cleveland. Paul is the steward over the sails sent to us from our friends in the UK and he should be able to set you up with what you need.

Let me get home and look through my notes and I will get back to you.

Mickey Lake
AIDA National Secretary
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

John

Post by John » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:58 am

Dear Mickey Lake

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is kind of lonely here in New Brunswick with the only Dragon in about 1000 miles. I need to get advice from all sources as I do not have any other boats to copy. Presently the boat is at a local marina, attached to pumps to keep it from sinking while I wait for the wood to swell.
I hope to be able to sail it soon, but I will need to arrange some rigging. As yet I do not have a genoa, but the main sail looks in good condition.

It certainly would be helpful to see photos of how other boats are rigged. Most of the photos on the web sites are of the boats in races, taken from a distance. Close up shots of the deck, mast, fairleads, shroud placements, and backstay would be helpful.

Thanks

John Beal

trw999

Post by trw999 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:52 pm

John

Have a look at the Dragon manufacturers. They have some detailed pictures of deck layouts that might give you some ideas.

Petticrows (http://www.petticrows.com/) and Doomernik (http://www.doomernik.nl/) probably have the better pictures.

T

Mickey Lake

Post by Mickey Lake » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:32 pm

John, have a look at the 'photos' section of http://www.usdragons.org. There have been a couple of albums posted of restorations done in the UK and in California. As far as a rigging diagram goes, we never did get an actual diagram, but I have a cd I can send you that many people said was helpful.

I am on aol and it seems to be down right now. I can't get you those e-mail addresses until it comes back, but I will get them for you. In the meantime, mail me your home address to BLake84530@aol.com and I will see about one of those cd's. I've got a couple left.

Mickey Lake
AIDA National Secretary
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

Clive P

Post by Clive P » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:27 pm

No information on your boat , but I got home from Cambleton on Saturday with a 57 Mahogony Abeking & Rassmussen Dragon. Not sailed since 92, and stored in N B since 96. The seller told me it was one of 3 that came from the Royal Toronto. The other 2 are on Chaleur and at Fredericton. Maybe yours? Mine is KC 105 ex Ballerina, now Rose Arbor.
She is completely rigged, but very complicated! 32 cam cleats.Between understanding the rig, filling some seams and scraping and varnishing, I have a full winter.Clive P, P.E.I.

John

Post by John » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Clive P

Great to hear that Ballerina, now Rose Arbor has a home at last. Yes, I did get one of the other boats from that barn in Campbellton. I looked at Ballerina, which was in somewhat better condition than the boat I now have. I decided against her because of all her racing adjustments. I come from a racing back ground, and in the past I spent all my time trying to get my boats to go fast. To avoid falling into that old trap I intentionally got the boat that could not possibly race no matter what I did. I have spent an incredible summer day sailing (cruising)here in NB. Take care with the restorations. You will have people inspecting your boat everywhere you go. They draw a crowd. This is the only boat I have ever sailed that had people coming out from the shore in motor boats just to take pictures of her.

If possible, I would love to see pictures of your restoration work in progress.

John
drjrbeal@nbnet.nb.ca

Clive P

Post by Clive P » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:05 am

John, early Dragons had the back stays finish alongside the cockpit. I have a pic of Bluebottle about 1954 like this. I believe that before the war they used Highfield levers. These are available from Davey & co http://www.daveyco.uk
Expensive. But the catalogue makes great reading/dreaming!! I believe there are at least 2 Dragons in nova Scotia. I was given 2 e-mail addresses which I haven't followed up yet. kevin.lombard@ns.sympatico and leslie@frsc.ns.ca
When I get some pics will post them. Clive P. pikel@ruranet.com