Motor Mount Brackett

John

Motor Mount Brackett

Post by John » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:39 am

I am wondering how owners of Dragons attach motors to their boats. I am sure that I am not the only person the requires the help of a motor to get my boat out of the marina and into open water. I use an electric motor for this. I do not wish to spoil the lines of the boat, so I would like a device that is easily removable. Any suggestions.

John

trw999

Re: Motor Mount Brackett

Post by trw999 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:52 am

John

Interestingly Petticrows have recently completed a new Dragon for a British owner with an integrated outboard well in the rear deck. The owner is obliged to use a motor to get in and out of the marina where he keeps his boat. Clearly this is not what you will want to do to your boat !

Doomernick sell a Dragon specific outboard mount, about which I can tell you very little! They sell it at 540 Euros. I guess it would not be beyond the wit of man to make a bracket board that could be attached to the transom; the tricky bit will be making an elegant and lightweight one.

T

Mickey Lake

Post by Mickey Lake » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 am

John, I sailed on a boat last year in Seattle that had a stern-mounted bracket for the motor (shudder), but I think that the most common style of bracket is one that comes off the side at the aft end of the cockpit so that the helmsman can steer and operate the motor at the same time. With a small electric or trolling-type motor I am thinking that you could build something pretty easily that hooks into your coaming board and then fits up against the side of the boat snugly (well padded, of course). I've got an idea in my head on how to do this but you get the picture, I hope? The only question being how far outboard of the cockpit would you have to make it to make sure it didn't chop into the side of your boat :lol:

When I bought my boat I had these threaded fittings on the stern that someone had told me had been a part of a removeable motor bracket, but I never saw it in action and I don't have a motor. I'll tell you what you need to do: go over to http://www.woodenboat.com and join their forum. They've got folks there who have seen and done it all. I am certain that someone can help you.

Mickey Lake
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

Clive P

Post by Clive P » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:22 pm

A possible motor mount ,try SpartanMarine.com If it 's suitable, please tell us! Clive P

John

Post by John » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 pm

I just looked at this bracket on the suggested site and it would appear to be perfect. Thank you for the link.

John

Clive P

Post by Clive P » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Clive P again. Rustler yachts have a side mount. Pictured in may 2007 Classic Boat.I have seen the Spartan, nice bronze! The Rustler is Stainless. The Rustler design cast in bronze might be what we really need.
3 knot tide running outside the marina and 20 knot wind coming up the river! And an outboard 5 feet out on the transome !!!!