Owners meeting at the Gold Cup, Palma 2007

IDA

Post by IDA » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:20 pm

!8 owners attended the meeting led by Peter Warrer, IDA Vice Chairman.

Peter explained that the IDA was working on the concept of a Grand Prix series of events tied to the International Ranking System (IRS). The IRS was fully developed in Germany and could be extended to include the main Dragon sailing European countries. Then the ‘Grand Prix’ events would be identified. A proposal would be put to the AGM in October this year.

Professionalism. In connection with above, some felt that the Class should accept and allow increased professionalism and encourage greater sponsorship (within the ISAF rules). Others felt that whilst the Class (and individuals) had enjoyed the advantages of professionalism, it should now be limited by, for example, only one pro per boat, or owner helmsmen only. Others suggested that there should be 2 tier racing, one for those who want to have professionals aboard and one for the true ‘Corinthian’ sailors. The difficulties were seen to be how to identify the pros, (other than those who are well known to be) and thus who would fit into which category. The IDA would like feed back on this issue with a view to being able to put a recommendation to the AGM in October.

The meeting was advised that the Dubai organisers had very reluctantly had to withdraw from hosting the 2009 event but would like to host a regular event for Dragons during the December/Jan period. It would be strongly identified with Dubai, by name and sponsors and there was a proposal by them to offer substantial prize money for the event. The latter was strongly opposed by most owners present unless it could be used instead to defray the costs of entry or to fund a lottery prize like Douarnenez, or in some way encourage younger sailors to the event. Christian Boillott (Fr) was asked to work with his Dubai contacts to develop their ideas further and report to the AGM.

The IDA Officers would appreciate any feedback on all these issues from a wide range of sailors, geographically, by age and by type of sailing enjoyed (Club, National, occasional foreign Regatta participant and the ‘permanent’ International Regatta sailors)
Last edited by IDA on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trw999

Post by trw999 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:52 pm

I am a club sailor who travels nationally and does the occasional international regatta. I am a very "ordinary Joe" Dragon sailor and would love to see others like me make more contributions to this very good, international Dragon forum. May this act as encouragement!

With regard to professionalism, I agree that we, as a class, need a definition of what constitutes professionalism. I am under the impression (which may be incorrect) that ISAF has defined this already. Perhaps this could be a start point.

I too would find my Corinthian standards severely tested by any Dragon regatta offering large amounts of prize money! I would also agree that off-setting the entry or transportation costs would be a better use of the sponsors money. I do believe that Dubai and the Middle East offers some interesting sailing. As the region assumes more prominence we should encourage more Dragon sailing there. Perhaps the building of a fleet in Dubai (as in Antigua) should be encouraged alongside plans for a regatta there.

An international regatta in the US would personally hold more appeal to me. I would like to see Mickey Lake's efforts to rebuild the class in North America thus rewarded.

T

Mickey Lake

Hmm.

Post by Mickey Lake » Tue May 01, 2007 12:15 am

I typed a response to this and then went back and deleted it. I have always tried to focus on the positive aspects of sailing as much as I can. Such things as professionalism within the class and events for prize money really have little to do with what we are trying to do here in North America.

If I had the money I would buy several decent used hulls and bring them over from Europe for resale at affordable prices here in the US and Canada. I spend half of my time (and I do it gladly) trying to convince owners that 'yes, it IS worth it to restore your old woodie' or early glassfibre Dragon. I would try to encourage people to sail Dragons. That's really all I am concerned with here.

I have no idea of what's involved in shipping 80 boats across the Atlantic or to a place on the Persian Gulf. Just can't imagine it, therefore, I really have no valid opinion. I will poll the people who can respond when I send out my mailing to the other North American Dragon sailors this week and report back if anything is offered.

Mickey Lake USA149
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

Ancient Geek

Quo Vadis

Post by Ancient Geek » Tue May 01, 2007 3:06 pm

It seems to this man that most of the Dragon Class probably do not care, 18 attendees out of 80+ boats at an owners meeting?
In which case the penalty will be a class you may not like anymore.
It has been the case for a long time but "getting worse faster" that the shortage of crews has led to more and more paid hands of varying skills.
The big event Regattas where to see and be seen is probably more important to quite a few than the sailing, are robbing the class of a sound base in club racing, time was when one raced at home and went away once twice or even three times a year.
The fixture list which seems designed for maximum, trailer miles and minimum sailing maximum partying. Nothing against parties, don't really like driving thousands of KM's and then retracing steps to retrace again etc etc etc. Have a DRagon to sail it with as many other Dragons I can.
The class is fast growing out of itself which is a pity for the prettiest day racing yacht.
If the club fleets and country fleets do not prosper then no one will buy the pre-owned boats and eventualy few new boats will be built (we've been here before!) There is a limit tothe number of Club Fleets that can be built and history show no matter what the class club boats do not prosper.

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue May 01, 2007 8:56 pm

Ancient Geek, what could I add to this? I totally agree. Sometimes easy things can be made difficult and the opposite.