An Original Dragon - Do You Have One?

trw999

An Original Dragon - Do You Have One?

Post by trw999 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm

Does any one on the forum sail a Dragon in original or near original condition, as envisaged by Johan Anker? I would assume that any such Dragons are sailed as beautiful day sailors; clearly a wooden sparred boat would have a tough time keeping up with their modern counterpart on the race circuit.

I ask because there is a notable rise in the number of wooden classics being restored generally, as well as several restored and modernised classic Dragons now being raced. This got me to thinking that in all probability few of us have much idea about what the first Dragons looked like, how they sailed and how they were fitted out.

It would therefore be wonderful to hear about the experiences of any owner with an original Dragon and to see a few photos posted up on the forum too. Any takers?

T

Sigrid

Re: An Original Dragon - Do You Have One?

Post by Sigrid » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:10 pm

I have a wonderfull new dragon for sale:

New build dragon (07/2005) carvel planked (dark) mahogany (full length planks) clear varnish, teak deck, mahogany cabin,... Most beautifull dragon in the world (as do many dragon sailer say!) Exact copy of pre war dragon with small cabin, that can sleep two. All bronz is from Davey & Co and bronz Meissner winches. Everything under deck is Harken racing. 5 Bulkheads built in. Boat is professionaly yard maintained, no expence spared(yard were she was built, Jan Vandamme, Zeebrugge, Belgium). New aluminium Harbeck trailer is possible as an extra. New Lombardini diesel engine (that can be removed with know damage for racing) New price was € 150.000. For sale because boat is to small for family; boat is used as day sailor.

She can be changed to race with, or as now, as a wonderfull daysailer.

She is in new state, not any scrathes,... Schowroom state, has only been 10 months in the water all the rest, inside.

Asking price: 75000 euro

Can you help me seel the boat, as new boat is soon to be delivered?

P.s. She was a total rebuild, original from 1937. What is old, the helm, two doors, bras windows, and few deckbeams, all the rest is new.

http://www.scheepsbouw-vandamme.be/reb_draak2.html (site were she was build)

DNeau

Post by DNeau » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Being the owner of the 2nd Dragon ever built, GALEJAN SWE2 launched in 1929, do you think she can be called "original Dragon"? 
During her long life, she has been modified several times, but thanks, to Mrs. PalmQuist, the daughter-in-law of the 1st owner who provided me a lot of old photography, GALEJAN will be soon in her native shape, included the original rigging design and interior features (bunk, galley)

John

Post by John » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:38 pm

I sail what I feel to be a Classic Dragon. Built in Poland around 1960. Wooden mast and boom (boom wieghs more than most modern masts and rigging). I sail in an area with few other boats of this vintage. I would be very interested in photos of other wooden Dragons. There are details I would not even think about unless I saw them on other boats. If you have the time and interest, please post some photos on this forum.

Thanks

John
Attachments
0801082010.jpg

DEN 229

Post by DEN 229 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:14 pm

I have been informed, that a number of Norwegian dragons are registered as so called B- dragons, which should identify them as being rigged with the pre-1948 rigging. Maybe a mail to the Norwegian Dragon Association can help you with getting in contact with the owners.

Regards
Søren E. Jensen, DEN 229 (1962 Bjarne Aas Dragon)

sotarn

Post by sotarn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:26 am

Think You can find a few ones in Sweden as well. I have a few photos of older dragons, but it does only show some details, from that it is not possible to get any clear overview.

Quite a lot of the pre 1950 dragons here were built with a longer cabin and a smaller cockpit.
//Daniel

SWE-19 "Pirat" from 1931