Dragon? in the Okanagan

spartinl

Dragon? in the Okanagan

Post by spartinl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 pm

HI to all,
I am new to this. My name is Louis and I live in Kelowna, British Columbia. I am not a sailor, but an engineer, sculptor and wood worker.
The other day at lunch, I saw this really cool wooden boat on a trailer marked "for sale".
I have always wanted to restore a wooden boat, so I purchased this one and it is now sitting in my warehouse.The boat was made by Bjarne Aas in Fredickstad Norway. I understand that he designed the "international - one design" boat (or yacht - please help with nomenclature).
I have attached a photo as a pdf since the jpeg was too big and I could not get it down below the 400 x 400 pixel limit.
The boat has a brass tag on the aft center portion of the cockpit that reads; " Bjarne Aas - Fredrikstad Norway - BAAT No 359 1952".
Is this a "Dragon"?
What does the "BAAT" mean and how many boats did Aas build to this design?
What was the relationship between Anker and Aas? Was Aas's design a copy or improvement on the Anker's design - what are the differences?
How can I find out the history on the boat and if it was registered and if it had a name?
Given that I am a novice, is there a book or books that anyone can recommend on how to restore this.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Does anyone know of another Dragon in the BC interior?
Best regards,
Louis
Attachments
IMG_3965 reduced a .pdf

Clive P

Re: Dragon? in the Okanagan

Post by Clive P » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Congratulations. It looks like your boat is sail # KC 81, known as Foil and later as Niki. In the Vancover area from63 till 83. You will need all the back issues of Wooden Boat magazine that you can find. Good luck, Clive P. (P.E.I.)

spartinl

Post by spartinl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:27 am

Where do you find out that information? The sail number is KC 116 ; and the sail also has the letters "DD" above the number- do you have a record of KC 116?
Do you know any of the answers to the other questions I had?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Louis

trw999

Post by trw999 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50 am

Louis

Congratulations on your snap purchase - good luck with the hours of toil you have let yourself in for!

In an effort to be helpful, I have made some comments in italics to your message below.
spartinl wrote:HI to all,
I am new to this. My name is Louis and I live in Kelowna, British Columbia. I am not a sailor, but an engineer, sculptor and wood worker.
The other day at lunch, I saw this really cool wooden boat on a trailer marked "for sale".
I have always wanted to restore a wooden boat, so I purchased this one and it is now sitting in my warehouse.The boat was made by Bjarne Aas in Fredickstad Norway. I understand that he designed the "international - one design" boat (or yacht - please help with nomenclature). Yacht would be correct
I have attached a photo as a pdf since the jpeg was too big and I could not get it down below the 400 x 400 pixel limit.
The boat has a brass tag on the aft center portion of the cockpit that reads; " Bjarne Aas - Fredrikstad Norway - BAAT No 359 1952". This is the build plaque
Is this a "Dragon"? Yep
What does the "BAAT" mean and how many boats did Aas build to this design? Norweigan for 'boat'. No idea I'm afraid
What was the relationship between Anker and Aas? Was Aas's design a copy or improvement on the Anker's design - what are the differences? Not sure if there was a relationship. Johan Anker died in the 1940's if I remember correctly. The International Dragon is a one design, therfore Aas would have built all his Dragons to the class rules
How can I find out the history on the boat and if it was registered and if it had a name? Looks like Clive is your best bet on this one!
Given that I am a novice, is there a book or books that anyone can recommend on how to restore this.
Any help is greatly appreciated! None that I know of. A useful book is 'The Royal Dragon' by I think, Clive Mann. I got a copy off Amazon. Ther have been some high quality and expensive books published in the past, though I think mostly reflecting on the racing pedigree and history
Does anyone know of another Dragon in the BC interior? I believe there are. Best check this site: http://www.usdragons.org
Best regards,
Louis

Clive P

Post by Clive P » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:49 pm

KC 116 was built by Kelvin Savell of Santa Barbara in the U S A in 1965. She is known as Tatsu and sailed out of Vancover at least up to 97.
These details are from the Canadian Dragon Fleet Register.
Contact John Sudbury jsudbury@kos.net

Patrickgifford

Post by Patrickgifford » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:01 pm

How many Ds are there on the sail? If it is simply the Class insignia, one on each side, above KC116, then the sail must have belonged to Tatsu which isn't a Bjarne Aas boat and been bought secondhand for your boat.
If it says D and then below D116 then it comes from a Danish boat Lil III which was exported to Canada and became KC49, according to Danish records. However, it seems unlikely that this is your boat since Lil is recorded as built by Borresen. It is unlikely that this is wrong since Borresen built most/all of Thorkil Warrer's Lils and, I believe, crewed on them.
If the boat is Foil, then I think she was originally a British boat, K249, which had a succesful racing record here and then disappears out of our records between 1958 and 1961. She was built by Bjarne Aas.

Regards

Patrick Gifford

Mickey Lake

Post by Mickey Lake » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:48 am

Louis, this is awesomely awesome! We had posted this boat on both the North American website and on WoodenBoat magazine trying to find it a home. Looks like she found one all by herself just with her own good looks! We need to get you in touch with the Canadian National Secretary, Paul Taylor at the Royal Van. He'd love to hear from you and I know that many of our North American Dragoneers would love to hear of your progress as you work towards getting your prize back into sailing conditions.

Thanks for checking in here and welcome to the world of Dragons.

Another boat finds a good home. Just made my day!

Mickey Lake
AIDA National Secretary
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

Mickey Lake

Dragon? in the Okanagan

Post by Mickey Lake » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:12 pm

To add a little bit to this story, Louis now has a comrade in arms to race with on Lake Okangan ( I mistakenly referred to this place as a 'small lake' in one of the North American newsletters. A 168 mile long 'small lake'. I stand corrected :grin: ). Werner Leyman has purchased the 1940's era CAN83 and another, early addition glassfibre Borresen to sail on the lake. Word has also come along that Louis has acquired a second woodie to go with his initial investment and now Lake Okangan has the interesting distinction of having CAN81, CAN82, and CAN83, to go along with this glassfibre hull andis the newest fleet of Dragons in North America!

Things are hopping in the Canadian northwest! Welcome to this newest Dragon fleet and may they continue to grow and prosper.

Mickey Lake
AIDA National Secretary
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.