Early Dragon history

Clive P

Early Dragon history

Post by Clive P » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:49 pm

I have tried to put everything we have on the early Dragons together, and this is what I have come up with.

The plans for a 20 squ mtr racing boat from Johan Anker may have been dated 1924.

I don't think that the boat was designed specially for the Royal Hong Kong Yaucht club.

Johan Anker entered a plan for a 20 squ mtr boat for a contest in 1928.

The sail #s in Norway were 20, (not D ) until the war.

This winning design became known as the Drake, ( same as English ). The plural being Draken.

The origional Drakken had twin berths as required by the competion rules.

In 1931 interest was developing in Germany where the new design was called Drachenboot. My own boat is listed as such by messrs Abeking & Rasmusson in 1957.

In 1931 the R H K Y C decided to use plans from Mr Anker to build 13 boats refered to as the A type. Whether this was the club or the designers numbering I don't know. They had short cabin tops.

In 1935 after the British had become interested in the new class, the name Dragon was used

When the club decided in1945 to make English the official language, and with Olympic status looming the offocial name became International Dragon.

The post war R H K Y C boats were called Dragons..

In 1945 after Anker's death the rig was changed. The mast head forestay being dropped and the jib stay being lengthened. The yard arms were lowered and made much narrower and a top hamper fitted. This allowed a spinaker to be set easily and the new Genoa to be sheeted inside the edge of the deck. In my eyes it also spoilt the profile of the boat !

I was wrong about the 22 mtr. I think the competion rules called for 20 Squ mtrs. The post war rig became 22

as the cowboy said " I have herd" that there are a number of Dragons still sailing in Norway with the origional rig, and these are known as B Dragons!

PLEASE, if you can add to, alter or disprove any of this please do.