BDA Classic Dragon Archive

IDA

Post by IDA » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:13 pm

This is a article written for the BDA website by Patrick Gifford the IDA Classic Boat Co-ordinator, but it is of interest to all "classic" Dragon owners.

I have been working over the last few months in an intermittent way to produce an archive of the history of the "classic" Dragons that have been raced in Britain and in Ireland. If this is to be done effectively it is clearly important to start now since the earliest boats are now 77 years old and memories and documents are fading fast. I have been very much assisted in this by the archive that belongs to Peter Wilson and also by Tim Wilkes, Pat Hobbs and David Hutchison. Tim and I have structured this as a spreadsheet which is now visible on the BDA website. It is our intention to continue to fill it in from the material that we already hold and from any additional information that we receive. It may well be that BDA members and other users of the website have information that would otherwise never be known to a wider audience.

The sources that we have used so far are the books that Peter Wilson has kept updated, the BDA "White Books", BDA and IDA magazines and fleet records. In addition we have occasional material from "For sale" sites and other countries. Notably we have a list of all the Classic Dragons originally registered in Denmark, several of which were later exported here. It would be very useful to have a complete set of White Books. At present I am without any from before 1958(if they existed) and the following later years: 1959, 1960, 1963-7, 1972-3, 1975, 1981 and 1994. If anybody still has them I would be very grateful to have the opportunity to extract data from them.

At present the information on the site for each boat is a minimum of sail number, year of build and builder. In addition other information has been put on in many cases. There is also already a lot of additional information which we will put on when time allows. It seemed better to show the partially completed archive rather than wait until the rest had been added.

I urge anyone who looks at this to let us know of any additional information and, indeed, corrections. It is very difficult, even when one was there, to trust one's memory after what may well be 40 years.

Patrick Gifford March 2009
patrick@patrickgifford8.wanadoo.co.uk