Canvas deck replacement

John

Canvas deck replacement

Post by John » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 am

I would appreciate some assistance with deck repair on a 1960 wooden dragon. It presently has a canvas deck which needs repair and the builders I have contacted are at a loss as how the deck was done in the first place. It would appear that in order to do this you must first remove the toe rail and the cabin and the rest of the moulding around the cabin. With this off, the canvas can be stripped and a replacement cover installed. Am I on the right track so far? The next decision is what to use to replace the canvas. I am sure the the purists would say canvas and if so how to do this and then how to maintain it over the years? The modernists may say Dynel and epoxy, but I have heard that Dynel takes up a lot of the resin and increases weight significantly. Has any one tried Dynel with vacuum bag techniques? The cost of this work is likely to surpass the original cost of the boat, so I would like to do it properly.

On a positive note, I sail this classic dragon on a small lake here in New Brunswick with many other boats of different classes. In the past I have refrained from any races as this boat is old, with wooden mast and boom and old sails. We use a handicap system so all classes can have a fair race. The dragon handicap is based on a new boat with racing equipment. We were convinced to race a couple of times and it turns out that not only is she the prettiest lady at the dance, she is also the fastest.

I would like to hear from you if you have experience with the deck replacements.

Thanks

John

Mickey Lake

Re: Canvas deck replacement

Post by Mickey Lake » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:00 pm

John, my deck was replaced with plywood and glass cloth many moons ago. It is almost time to do it again so I will be following your adventures closely.

As far as racing goes, Portsmouth here in the US is updated by clubs sending finishes in to USSA and them loading that information into the computer. If it is done that way in Canada it very well may be that they haven't updated the information since the Olympic days and your rating is based on a Dragon exactly like yours! I am pretty darn sure that's how it is here in the States. If no clubs send your national authority the information then they have no way to keep it current.

I raced PY three times this summer here in Alabama, against boats ranging from an IC (10 square metre canoe) to a Farr 395, and I finished 1st overall in two of those races and would have finished at the top in the other but they listed my rating as 80.3 instead of the 89.5 is really is (we didn't catch this until a week later. Shows how well we pay attention to this kind of thing). I am not really sure why, because I am not a very good Dragon sailor, and my boat is in no way a modern boat able to take on the newer guys in the class.

Racing is fun and I want to try and encourage everyone to get out there and knock heads, either with other Dragons in the big Euroevents, or in the wednesday evening wankstafests at our local clubs. It's a great way to have fun, hone your skills, and show the world what a great boat we sail!

Mickey Lake
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.