Great free advertising for the Dragon Class.

Mickey Lake

Great free advertising for the Dragon Class.

Post by Mickey Lake » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:53 pm

There has been a thread running on the Sailing Anarchy website for the past couple of weeks. Great photos and discussion of Dragons and our hopes for a future here in North America.

Check out http://www.sailinganarchy.com under the 'sailing' forum and look for the thread entitled 'wooden dragon'. Great stuff, and quite encouraging to see.

Mickey Lake USA149
A disciple of the Norse God of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker.

trw999

Post by trw999 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks for the posting, Mickey. I enjoyed reading the thread. Very good luck to you.

It might be an idea to contact all the main sailing clubs of the Dragon fleets in Europe to get them to stick an ad on their club notice boards regarding any Dragons, sails or other kit that you need. Just might produce something.

Valanga comes out of the shed this week and we are down in the yard on Saturday rigging her and getting her ready for the season.

T

Mickey Lake

Actually....

Post by Mickey Lake » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:58 pm

this class has a lot more of an internet presence than many may realize.
Most of the national associations and many club have sites and I scan those at least once a week looking for things that may be of interest to Dragon sailors in North America. Too bad I don't read cyrillic, though. The Moscow fleet site looks great :).

I guess that those of us in the northern hemisphere are getting geared up for the season about now, at least those of us not living on or near the Med. I wish you the best best of seasons with your new prize. I am really looking forward to following your progress here on the IDA forum.

Mickey Lake USA149
Last edited by Mickey Lake on Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Reinert

Post by Michael Reinert » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:06 am

Mickey, if you are looking for a really good advertising for the dragon class, you have to take a look in the oficial DVD of the 75th anniversary in St. Tropez. Fantastic scenes and it schows exactly the flair and the mood we had at that outstanding event. If you are not already own this DVD, I am shure, that you can get a copy with the help of the IDA secretary, otherwise I can send you one of mine. Show it arround in your american clubs and they will understand, what makes us so enthousiastic about the dragon (especially the wooden ones).

Michael Reinert

Mickey Lake

Thanks, Michael.

Post by Mickey Lake » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:12 am

I think that I actually ordered one of those from BB the other day. I say 'I think' because I am not sure if it's the same one, but I will let you know when it gets here and we can discuss it.

Thank you for your kind offer. I am sure that you are right, that as many people as I can get to watch a dvd of these beautiful boats and all of the excitement surrounding the 75th Anniversary regatta will no doubt come away impressed with the Dragon class.

Mickey Lake USA149

Michael Reinert

Post by Michael Reinert » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:44 pm

There are two DVD´s available , the one you have already, sponsored by BB and the one I am talking of, released by the IDA for every crew taking part in St.Tropez, sponsored by HLL. Both are quite nice, but to me the IDA DVD (HLL) is mutch better, it is a more professional video.

greetings, Michael

Mickey Lake

Post by Mickey Lake » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:32 pm

Because of this thread on Sailing Anarchy I have had one owner of a wooden Dragon get in touch with me who we did not know about, and I am presently trying to help a prospective owner find a boat (he also wants a wooden Dragon). That is great news for the class in North America. Over 100 posts and over 2000 hits. Awesome.

Along the same lines, this month's Sailing World magazine here in the US features a photo of some European Dragons as a frontispiece to one of their articles. This is the kind of thing that puts Dragons into peoples minds and keeps them there. If we keep working hard and do not give up then I have to believe that we will make progress as a class in North America.

Well, I am going to be sailing Finns (!) for the next week and won't be around to bug you. But I'll be back :).

Mickey Lake USA149

Mickey Lake

Seems to have run out of steam.

Post by Mickey Lake » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 pm

Looks like our Sailing Anarchy thread has slowed down, but as of right now we have had over 2500 hits. Some of those are repeat visitors, of course, but most of them are people who wanted to take a look and find out more about the Dragon class in North America, Europe, and in Australasia. Great publicity.

I also just received in the mail a copy of a magazine on sailing in the Pacific Northwest which featured a write-up on the upcoming Dragon event July 27-29. This kind of thing is vital if we are to grow as a class in this part of the world.

Oh, yeah. I DID receive my dvd and the nice brochure from BB. The only problem is that I forgot that dvd's from Europe are not formatted for use in North America! Oh well. I understand that there are places that can transfer betweens disks but it involves sending stuff all over the place and delays at every turn. I will investigate and see what I can do about it. It would be nice to be able to show the promotional dvd's at the yacht club on a day that we invite prospective new skippers down to look at and sail the Dragon.

Mickey Lake USA149

Mickey Lake

An update.

Post by Mickey Lake » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:58 pm

I had the dvd reformatted for the North American dvd players. It came out just fine. Appears to have been copied from an episode of 'Sailing TV'. Not exactly the stuff to send chills down your spine, but it will be great as a visual aid for trying to recruit new members.

As far as the 'Sailing Anarchy' thread goes, it's long gone, but I am wracking my brain trying to think up another. Right now I have four people that I am trying to help find boats and another who is 'sort of' looking. Seems as if all of this came about through the thread on Sailing Anarchy. One of these prospective owners is on the verge of doing something that we have needed for years: importing from Europe.

If anyone can think of a way or ways to bring the class to the attention of the North American sailing market please post them and I will happily give it a try. I am commited to having someone build us a website, as I believe that in today's market a class without one is as good as ignored. Other than that, what can I do?

Mickey Lake USA149

trw999

Post by trw999 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:32 pm

Mickey

I second your thoughts on a web site! It will act as a focus for your efforts and will - hopefully - come out on top of a Google search by any N Americans interested in Dragons. The links page could then show all the interesting European sites. Get some of Jaques Vapillon's pictures up on the site too! http://www.vapillon.com/

Sailing Anarchy has too many topics to keep in the public eye at any one time. How about trying "Most Beautiful Keelboat of all Time" (include a photo); "Largest One Design Class in the World"; "Anyone Seen a Dragon?"

And for everyone else reading this, please don't feel embarrassed, post your thoughts. Mickey and I could be having this conversation by private e-mail or on the 'phone, but we choose to share it with the Dragon community. What do you think?

T

Mickey Lake

It worked again.

Post by Mickey Lake » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am

Just found another boat in the US by posting a thread on Sailing Anarchy!
Great stuff. I will just keep working at it and see where it takes me.

I know that I desperately need to get something done in the way of a North American Dragon web site, I have just never done anything like that and lack experience with it. Just a page with links and contacts would be world's better than nothing at all.

Mickey Lake USA149

trw999

Post by trw999 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 am

Mickey has got two threads going on Sailing Anarchy at the moment - well done! This is keeping the class in the sailing public eye.

One is a continuation of "Wooden Dragon" and the other is "New Dragon Rigged for Four". Over 3600 and 670 hits respectively so far. If we can keep them on the first page for a while longer it might help Mickey as he gets the North American Dragon fleets re-established. So feel free to contribute, there are plenty of European contributors on SA.

T