The IDA Constitution
- The name of the Association shall be the "International Dragon Association".
- The International Dragon Association was founded on 31st October 1961 with London as its headquarters.
- The objects of the Association are:
- To promote and develop Dragon Class racing under uniform Rules throughout the world.
- To provide a structure for Class management and for the exchange of information among Dragon sailors to enhance the enjoyment of these yachts.
- To ensure the Class retains its "International" status by complying with the criteria adopted by World Sailing .
- In furtherance of other events with International participation the International Dragon Association will:
- Encourage the formation of National Dragon Associations in all countries where Dragons are raced and to introduce the Class to new countries.
- Ensure that World and European Championships and The Gold Cup are held in appropriate locations and to proper standards, and shall monitor such events.
- Approve other events of International impact on the Dragon Class and ensure they are held to proper standards.
- Promulgate and review the Class Rules in association with World Sailing .
- Endeavour to carry out and respect the regulations of World Sailing and to ensure that each National Dragon Association does likewise.
- Every National Dragon Association, which is in good financial standing and in good standing with the International Dragon Association, shall be a member of the International Dragon Association.
- Any individual Dragon sailor without a National Dragon Association to represent him shall not become a direct member of the International Dragon Association but may be offered an existing National Dragon Association to represent him.
- Any country may, upon application to the Secretary of the International Dragon Association, be admitted as a National Dragon Association provided it satisfies the following requirements of membership to the International Dragon Association:
- That it has formed a duly constituted National Dragon Association, recognised by its country's National Authority (if such exists), for the development of racing Dragons within that country;
- That there are not less than 4 Dragons registered in that country;
- That it has a duly elected Committee, including such Officers as it shall determine necessary and requisite, and,
- That there is no other Association in their country already accredited to the International Dragon Association.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE INTERNATIONAL DRAGON ASSOCIATION
- Each application to the Secretary of the International Dragon Association shall include a copy of their National Dragon Association Rules, together with a current list of its members and of the Dragons registered, updated annually within that Association.
- Each National Dragon Association shall appoint a Secretary who shall be the only official channel of communication with the International Dragon Association and whose address will be the official address of that National Dragon Association until the International Dragon Association Secretariat is advised, in writing, by that Association of any change of Secretary and or address.
- Each National Dragon Association shall pay an annual subscription based on the number of their registered Dragons in such amount as shall from time to time be fixed by the International Dragon Association at the Annual General Meeting. Additional income to the International Dragon Association may be raised from National Dragon Associations, by mutual agreement, or by resolution at an Annual General Meeting.
- Each National Dragon Association shall be bound by this Constitution, and duly enacted amendments thereto and shall comply with all resolutions and directions made in accordance with this Constitution. National Dragon Associations shall use their best endeavours to ensure that their individual members also comply with such resolutions and directions.
- A National Dragon Association shall cease to be a member during any period in respect of which it has not paid its subscription or other monies due to the International Dragon Association or upon receipt of notice of its resignation by the Executive Committee. Such membership may be renewed with immediate effect by payment of outstanding dues or other monies owing to the International Dragon Association.
- The International Dragon Class Association shall be managed and administered on an ongoing basis by its Executive Committee in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution and any Regulations passed under this Constitution,
MEETINGS OF THE INTERNATIONAL DRAGON ASSOCIATION
- Meetings of the International Dragon Association shall consist of the members of the Executive Committee and of one Representative of each National Dragon Association.
- An Annual General Meeting of the International Dragon Association shall be held in October or November each year in such place and time as the Executive Committee may consider most convenient to the majority of the members. Unless otherwise agreed at the preceding Annual General Meeting, the meeting shall take place in London. This meeting shall:
- Receive from the Executive Committee, and approve, a statement of accounts for the preceding accounting year and a budget for the current year.
- Receive and decide on resolutions submitted in accordance with 7.4.
- A Special meeting of the International Dragon Association shall be called by the Chairman:
- If the Executive Committee so resolves and in accordance with that resolution, or
- Forthwith upon (but not less than 6 weeks after) receiving the written request of not less than 8 National Dragon Associations (which request shall also specify any resolution which the members concerned wish to propose at the meeting).
- Resolutions to the International Dragon Association shall only be submitted by a National Dragon Association or a member of the Executive Committee and shall be in the hands of the Secretary of the International Dragon Association by 1st August preceding the Annual General Meeting.
- At least four weeks written notice shall be given of any International Dragon Association Meeting by the Secretary to the members of the International Dragon Association, together with a copy of the agenda for the meeting and of any resolutions, which are to be proposed at the meeting. The Secretary shall give such notice of (and only of) such resolutions as have been submitted to him in writing 6 weeks before the meeting at which they are to be proposed.
- The chairman at meetings of the International Dragon Association shall be the Chairman, or in his absence, a Vice-Chairman. If neither the Chairman nor any Vice-Chairmen are present, the meeting shall elect a chairman.
- At any International Dragon Association meeting only resolutions of which notice has been given in accordance with this Constitution may be proposed and no amendments thereto shall be permitted, unless the amendment is accepted by the proposers of the resolution.
- At least four weeks before the meeting of the International Dragon Association each National Dragon Association shall nominate in writing or written electronic communication the name of the person who will represent them. This person may be changed subsequently only with good reason and with the agreement of the Executive Committee.
- Only the nominated representatives of each National Dragon Association and each member of the Executive Committee shall be entitled to vote at a meeting of the International Dragon Association. They shall have one vote each.
- In the event of a tied vote the Chairman shall have the additional casting vote. If the Chairman is absent from the meeting the stand in Chairman of the meeting shall have the additional casting vote.
- The quorum at International Dragon Association meetings shall be 8 of the National Dragon Associations, represented in person or by proxy, who shall be from at least two Continents and who are entitled to vote at the meetings.
- A proxy vote may be given only to a member of the Executive Committee or the person representing another National Dragon Association in that meeting. No person may have and vote more than one proxy vote in addition, if applicable, to his own.
- Special Resolution shall be passed at an International Dragon Association meeting only if 2/3rds or more of the votes cast are in its favour. Special Resolutions are required for changes to this Constitution and to changes to the International Dragon Class Rules. All other votes will be by simple majority.
- The International Dragon Association shall hold at least one informal meeting at a major regatta each calendar year. Such meetings shall be open to all members of National Dragon Associations, the main purpose being to provide a forum for individual members to express their views and opinions. No decisions made at such meetings shall be binding on the International Dragon Association or its Executive or Technical Committees.
- The International Dragon Association shall have the following officers, from at least two continents:
- Up to 3 Vice Chairmen
- Honorary Treasurer
- The Chairman, Vice Chairmen, and Honorary Treasurer shall each be a member of a member National Dragon Association, and be elected by the International Dragon Association in General Meeting. The Chairman and Vice Chairmen shall be elected for a term of two years and shall be eligible for re-election for a second and final term. The Honorary Treasurer shall be elected for a term of four years and may stand for re-election without restriction.
- The Chairman of the Technical Committee shall be appointed by the Executive Committee on an annual basis, but with no fixed limit to the period of office.
- In the event that vacancies shall occur on the Executive Committee between Annual Meetings of the International Dragon Association:
- The remaining members of the Executive Committee may, but shall not be obliged to, co-opt any member of a National Dragon Association as they shall consider fit to fill any vacancy.
- Persons so co-opted or appointed shall remain in office until the next Annual Meeting of the International Dragon Association.
- The Executive Committee shall employ a Secretary on terms and conditions determined by it to carry out and exercise such functions and powers as the Officers shall from time to time determine.
- In the event of the absence or vacancy of the position of Secretary one of the Vice-Chairmen shall fulfill all the obligations and duties of the Secretary.
- No person who is a member of or employed by commercial undertaking involved with the Dragon Class or who is in receipt of any payment for competing in a race or preparing a boat for racing, may be elected as an Officer of the International Dragon Association as defined in the Constitution.
- The Chairman and Vice Chairmen shall be ex-officio members of any Committee appointed by them including, but not limited to, Technical Committees, Financial Committees, Event Committees, and their sub Committees.
PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENTS
- The IDA shall elect a President and may, at its discretion, elect Vice-Presidents. The positions of President and Vice President shall be reserved for those whom the IDA especially wishes to honour by reason of their interest in the Class. Neither President nor Vice Presidents are Officers of the International Dragon Association.
THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the following Officers for the time being:
- Up to 3 Vice Chairmen
- Honorary Treasurer
- Each member of the Executive Committee shall have only one vote except that the Chairman or acting chairman shall have the additional vote in the event of a tied vote of the Executive Committee.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- Executive Committee meetings shall be held on such occasions and at such places as are either called by the Chairman or decided by previous meetings of the committee.
- The Secretary shall give at least 3 weeks notice of such meetings, unless 75% of the members of the committee give their prior consent to a reduced notice period.
- Three members of the Executive Committee shall form a quorum.
- The Chairman shall chair all meetings at which he is present. At meetings where the Chairman is not present a Vice Chairman shall chair.
- Resolutions at Executive Committee Meetings shall be passed by a simple majority of the members of the Committee voting. In the event of a tied vote the chairman of the meeting shall have an additional casting vote.
- The Executive Committee is authorised to utilize for meetings telephonic communications providing all participants can hear and participate in all communications.
- The Executive Committee may delegate to any one or more of its members such powers and duties as it shall determine for special purposes for a limited period.
- The International Dragon Association shall appoint a Technical Committee consisting of a Chairman plus at least 2 other members and shall not include anyone with a commercial interest in the class. Members of the Technical Committee shall represent at least two continents.
- The International Dragon Association may appoint a Chief Measurer who will report to the Chairman of the Technical Committee.
- The Chairman may invite boat builders, sailmakers, spar makers and measurers to attend meetings of the Technical Committee as advisers.
- The function of the Technical Committee is:
- To advise the International Dragon Association and Executive Committee on any technical matters relevant to the Class.
- In conjunction with the Technical Department of World Sailing , to ensure that the One Design control of the Class is properly exercised by the builders and suppliers in accordance with the International Dragon Class Rules
- To investigate any query by a boat owner regarding the one design or specification, and to report to the Executive Committee.
- To recommend to the Executive Committee any changes to the International Dragon Class Rules. Any changes subsequently proposed to the International Dragon Association will be as a Special Resolution, requiring 2/3 majority.
FINANCIAL MATTERS - INTERNATIONAL DRAGON ASSOCIATION
- The association shall be funded by:
- Subscriptions from National Dragon Associations.
- A share of the building fee paid on each boat.
- The fee paid on each sail manufactured.
- The fee paid on each spar manufactured.
- Television rights of international events in accordance with World Sailing regulations.
- A share of the Entry Fee of World and European Championships and the Gold Cup, negotiated between the Executive Committee and the Organizers of the event.
- Any other revenue negotiated and accepted by the Executive Committee.
- The Association's subscription year shall run from 1 January to 31 December.
- The Executive Committee shall be permitted to raise sponsorship to support the objects of the association through the creation of a separate entity (the IDA Events Association).
- The amount to be paid as subscriptions to the International Dragon Association shall be decided by the Annual General Meeting of the International Dragon Association and shall be based upon the number of registered Dragons in their Association.
- The amount to be paid as building fees and as sail and spar labels to the International Dragon Association shall be decided by the Annual General Meeting of the International Dragon Association.
- All other fees, such as those for approval of events, professional or other, or for services provided at events, shall be decided by the Executive Committee.
- A budget for expenses shall be agreed each year by the International Dragon Association, and expenses shall be reported under a separate heading in the Annual Accounts.
- The reasonable expenses of the Executive Committee in complying with their obligations and exercising their powers under these rules shall be payable out of the funds of the Association on application to the Executive Committee. Reasonable expenses of other people acting under the authority of the Executive Committee shall also be payable out of the funds of the Association on application to the Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall cause Annual Accounts to be prepared for each year, which truly and fairly show the Association's capital and its income and expenditure.
- The fiscal period of the International Dragon Association shall be 1 September to 31 August each year unless changed by resolution of the Annual General Meeting.
- A copy of the accounts for the latest complete fiscal period shall be presented at least once each 6 months to the Executive Committee, and annually to the Annual meeting of the International Dragon Association.
- The Executive Committee may at any time resolve that the Annual Accounts be subject to an independent examination or audit.
- Where under this Constitution the Secretary is required to give written notice to any person or body, such notice shall be deemed for the purposes of this Constitution to have been given if it is given by post or written electronic communication and so that:
- If it is given by post it shall be deemed to have been given on the 7th day after the Secretary shall have posted such notice by first class or air post to the person or body concerned at the address given for such person or body in the records of the Association whether or not it shall in fact have been received by the person or body concerned within that time or at all;
- If it is given by written electronic communication it shall be deemed to have been given 24 hours after the Secretary has successfully dispatched the written electronic communication whereto or not is shall in fact have been received by the person or body concerned within that time or at all.
- Provided that the Secretary shall only be entitled to give notice to a person or body by way of written electronic communication if that person or body shall have provided (and not withdrawn) the address or number for the electronic communication to the International Dragon Association.
- The Secretary shall keep a register of such notices, which shall include evidence that the notice has been sent.
SUSPENSION AND REMOVAL FROM MEMBERSHIP
- A National Dragon Association may be suspended from membership by the Executive Committee only after a hearing protecting its/his rights to due process including a mutual exchange of evidence prior to the hearing.
- The Executive Committee may require a National Dragon Association to consider the suspension from its membership of one or more of its members.
- Suspension may be implemented for the following:
- Committing an unlawful act in relation to the International Dragon Association or one of its members, or
- For any unsportsmanlike conduct contrary to the interest of the members of the International Dragon Association, or
- For intentional violation of International Dragon Class Rules.
- There shall be no entitlement to any return of any or any part of the subscription in respect of any period for which any National Dragon Association shall be suspended or removed from membership.
- This Constitution may only be amended by a Special Resolution requiring 2/3 majority for which notice has been duly given and which is duly proposed and passed at an International Dragon Association meeting pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Constitution and agreed by World Sailing .
- The Officers and Executive Committee shall not be obliged to do any of the things required of them by these rules if the International Dragon Association shall not reasonably be expected to be in funds sufficient to pay their reasonable cost and expenses by the time these costs and expenses are estimated to come due.
- In the execution of their powers and duties under this constitution no Officer or other member of the Executive Committee shall be liable for any loss to any of the members or former members of the International Dragon Association or to the assets of the International Dragon Association by reason of any mistake or omission made in good faith by him or any other officer or member of the Executive Committee or for any other matter other than willful and individual wrongdoing omission or fraud on the part of the person who is sought to be made liable.
PROPER LAW AND JURISDICTION
- The proper law of the International Dragon Association shall be English law and this Constitution shall be construed, take effect and be enforced accordingly.
- The decision of the Executive Committee shall be final in matters of the management of the International Dragon Association and may be challenged only if any group of National Dragon Associations disputes the actions or decisions of the Executive Committee formally in writing with a Resolution as provided in 7.3(b). The decision of the Annual General Meeting of the International Dragon Association shall be final, subject to the judgment of a court of proper jurisdiction in the circumstances applying English law as provided in Article 20.1.
Adopted October 2008 Amended October 2015 Amended October 2017